Just about

I have a long essay in me about what I set out achieve back at the beginning of January, but it's so long since I tried to be coherent about my art I'm struggling to commit myself. Even to speculating about a few things that don't matter to anyone but me!
I seem to have forced myself to do some work on paper, which was a primary aim, maybe I'm having a harder week because doing that is so much more scary than sitting with the sewing machine.
My self imposed pressure to define what I make in a hurry is adding confusion.
I think my inclination to work on multiple items simultaneously is a good thing because it comes so naturally, but I still feel bothered by the thunder cloud of labour intensive pieces that have been planned but don't progress. All those unfinished projects!
I only have the few hours I can squeeze out of the end of the day at the moment so big pieces, which in themselves are still experimental, are pretty intimidating in their absence. And the piles of materials selected and occasionally tweaked take up so much room on the floor.
I remember being at a stage of my time in college where I was working on several unrelated strands of enquiry. When they came together there was a period of really intensive satisfying work but in the preceding months it was bewildering and exhausting.
I don't think I'll reach that pitch of intensity with my work but my state of confusion about what I'm doing is comparable.
Phew, didn't crack as many jokes as I'd like but I'm purged.

Comments

Popular Posts