Naming Day 2

The Manon Workshirt
















In case you didn't read my last post about how I'm choosing my names, briefly, I have a list of lovely women's names taken from the 10 most popular in each of the 27 countries of the EU.
I'm assigning them to garments by their meaning, how they sound, what they make me think and dream of. 
This garment, which is one version of four 'workshirts'. The original, is a very simple, over-the-head, widely cut, narrow sleeved shirt dress with little pockets.
Like most of my garment designs, it started out as something, I wanted for myself but couldn't find in the shops local to me.

The Manon version, has loose cap sleeves, and this one has a generous cut in the width and a lovely big neckline. The name Manon in my list represents Luxembourg, but I can't help associating it with the wonderful 'Manon Des Sources'.


She's sporting a rather lovely home knit in this picture, but I think of rural life at this time being bloody hard work, and my Manon Workshirt is definitely a workhorse kind of garment. Something you can keep going back to, getting just a little bit more from each time!

When I was photographing it this morning, I looked at the patch that I had finished earlier and features in the last photo. The trousers that I reclaimed for this garment  had one small stain, so I snipped it out and did a 'visible mend'. If you remember the storyline of the love interest in Manon Des Sources, the position of the patch couldn't be more appropriate. It was entirely accidental though. I'm not going to give any details away, because I think you should probably seek out the film if you don't know what I'm referring to!




This garment will be with me at Collectives Fair 2017, but other versions will be available soon, hopefully online!


 

Comments

Popular Posts