a piece of knitting in romney wool


I want to make a medieval style pocket bag to hang over the dress.
The romney sheep has been a big part of the history of the romney marsh , when in the 18th century wool smuggling became a significant factor in the local ecomony and social structure.
A pocket bag worn by a woman of the 13th or 14th century is normally shown in a text book as being made of leather, but I'm speculating that a poorer woman would have used any material she had access to.
I thought this item in the enemble would be a good way to bring in some local wool . There is one farm producing its own romney wool for hand knitting around sissinghurst, but when I looked at how the romney sheep was a breed which was taken all over the world, being good for both meat and wool, I thought I would look further afield.
Shady Farm Studio in Pennsylvania, USA who sells through Etsy and produce hand spun yarn in different yarns, told me that their stock of romneys had come directly from the UK, whereas normally they would come from New Zealand where they can be crossed with another breed but still be called a romney.

Comments

Popular Posts