quilting patterns



doll with big cat and even bigger cat.

Bit of a subtle drawing, but its just a rough plan for the quilting pattern for the quilted cushion trial version of my linen patchwork quilt. I was just going to do concentric circles, coming out from the doll's head and heart. Then I thought it might be a place to experiment with my larger drawings of animals and flowers.



As I've never done any 'proper' quilting before, the choice of batting that's available is a bit bewildering. I ordered a sample pack from cottonpatch. On this cushion I'm trying out two of the samples, one cotton, one wool.


The large kitten shape will just be defined in the quilting, but the other cat needs its features defining so I'll probably embroider that one like the doll then quilt around the outline.


I tacked around the large template and chose different colours for the quilting. I have added in a 'tree' template to the background, its also a flower and a cloud. The turquiose and red are for the concentric circles which will fill the background after the other shapes are complete. The area where they cross over is uncertain.



I think my quilting stitches are quite small, and I wasn't using a proper quilting needle, which I assume is quite long. The back of this first bit does't look very good at all. I'm so happy with the front but I'm wondering if anyone's published a book about the back of quilts?

No1. Son asked why the woman is naked, which is important. It's because she's a doll who hasn't got any clothes yet. I will be making The Doll some Clothes  in the Future.

Comments

Popular Posts