Naming Day!

Introducing the Maia Jacket










So far my clothes have just had descriptive names, and this jacket has been the Swing Jacket and the Cross-over jacket. It's both and it's neither and both names are awkward. This is true for several of my garment designs.

How I came up with some names.

Over the last month or so I've been dreaming up a list of names and trying them out for size as I sewed.
I'm still pretty bothered by the result of the UK's  referendum vote last June, so as a means of honouring all the different nations of the European Union whilst celebrating our shared history, I've collected a list of two from the most popular girl's names from each of the 27 countries. They're all names that we're familiar with and although there may be differences in spelling or pronunciation, it's easy to see how close we are culturally.
I don't have 27 garment designs yet and there are a few fanciful names that have weeviled their way in, but the essence of the names represents a collection of clothes that I want to be for all women, all ages, sizes, colours, religions.

The Maia Jacket

Maya represents Slovenia in my list, but I've altered it the spelling to one of the alternatives because I thought it looked pretty! My original idea for a cross over jacket came more than two years ago, inspired by a wonderful book by Paul and Elaine Lewis, called Peoples of the Golden Triangle.
      

  

The book has a load of flat lay style photos that show enough of the construction, for an eagle-eyed magpie to have a go at drawing up a pattern. My own sketch stayed  in my book for over a year before I had a go.


Then it was this;


I wore my toile for a few months, barely taking it of because I loved it so much. Now I have half a dozen versions in my trademark pieced style, some with embroidered details, and in a variety of colour combinations. 
I've done a few size variations too, the Bronte which is roughly a UK size 10, this is the size I've been wearing over a jumper, the Jenny is a UK 12/14 although could be worn without the jumper layer up to a 16 and the Magnificent should fit up to a UK 20.

My favourite source for the name Maya or Maia, is derived from a Roman incarnation of the earth mother and goddess of Spring. That can't be bad!

My latest selection of Maia Jackets will come with me to the Collectives Fair in Stroud in May, but soon after I shall be putting a selection for sale online. So if you're interested, keep a lookout!


Comments

Popular Posts